Saturday, January 3, 2009

Jay's First Post - "Slumdog Millionaire"

Alright, alright! Since this blog is titled "The Provosts", and I am the "Provost-to-end-all-Provosts" I suppose I should be a part of it. Sarah has done a such a great job writing in this blog that I've been inspired to FINALLY jump on the bandwagon.

Just a forewarning, my writing style will be a little different from Sarah's. My posts may feature a little more "ranting and raving" than my better half. Oh, and as you will soon find out, she is a much better writer. My parents are always telling me how great "The Provosts" is and how much they love reading her entries.

Time for me to ruin it. Sorry honey.

On to my first posting.




Last night we went and saw the movie "Slumdog Millionaire" in Framingham. The theater was PACKED. Upon arrival to the lot we noticed there weren't any parking spots (which as you know is never a good sign.) We made the decision to drop Sarah off so she could get in line while I began my quest to get a spot. After about 1 minute of searching in the main lot I gave up and parked in the overflow lot across the street, which if you've never parked out there is quite a hike. I made my way towards the theater and was very surprised to see the crowds. It was so busy! I immediately glanced up to the marquis to see the other movies showing. I was confused. Other than the indie flick we were about to see, the theater was showing a lot of forgettable flicks. What was so exciting about this Friday night that so many people had to come out? It was so busy that there was a line to get into the door. I immediately became claustrophobic upon entering and quickly found Sarah who was almost at the front of the line thank god. Okay okay, onto the movie.

Did I mention it cost $4.25 for a medium soda?

Alright, the theater was packed! No buffer seats. A couple our age sat next to me, with the bearded husband to my right. They seemed normal. I remember his mom called him and i thought it peculiar to hear him say "Yeah Mom, we got in!"

Here is Yahoo's synopsis of the movie so I don't have to type it out.

"The story of Jamal Malik, an 18 year-old orphan from the slums of Mumbai, who is about to experience the biggest day of his life. With the whole nation watching, he is just one question away from winning a staggering 20 million rupees on India's "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?" But when the show breaks for the night, police arrest him on suspicion of cheating; how could a street kid know so much? Desperate to prove his innocence, Jamal tells the story of his life in the slum where he and his brother grew up, of their adventures together on the road, of vicious encounters with local gangs, and of Latika, the girl he loved and lost. Each chapter of his story reveals the key to the answer to one of the game show's questions. Intrigued by Jamal's story, the jaded Police Inspector begins to wonder what a young man with no apparent desire for riches is really doing on this game show? When the new day dawns and Jamal returns to answer the final question, the Inspector and sixty million viewers are about to find out..."

Okay, back to me. The movie was great. It is drama in its best form. I'm not going to attempt to write my critique; so I won't tell you anything other than it provides you the full spectrum of emotions.


Here's what messed with my experience of the movie. THE GUY NEXT TO ME!


This guy was all over the place. He gasped "oh no!" loudly in every suspenseful scene, rocked back in forth in his seat during the tense moments, made the "awwww" sound in the film's tender scenes. He couldn't sit still. He kept bumping my leg with his. I even heard him crying.

Yeah...a grown man...with a beard....crying.....in public. He was acting ridiculous. I actually contemplated leaning over and saying something like, "Seriously dude, it's a movie. You'll be okay."


Don't get me wrong, there were scenes where I was on the edge of my seat and worried for the characters. But was I even close to tears? No way. If you are a man, and are crying so much that I can hear it.....you may need professional help.

So, in closing.....go see Slumdog Millionaire. Just move your seat if a bearded man sits next to you. Even if you need to sit in the front row.

Oh and to my Slumdog Millionaire neighbor,...if you are reading this.......

Shave your beard. You are a disgrace to bearded men everywhere.






Wait, maybe that's why my dad shaved his beard? Maybe it was the movie Braveheart that did it to him!

God no.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No!!!!!!!! That's not why I shaved my beard off jay. I just got tired of it. As far as a grown man crying at a movie a lot of men cry so don't put us down. I've shed a tear or two.

Dad