Wednesday, January 7, 2009

New Year's Resolutions

Even though dates seem awfully arbitrary to me--numbers are imaginary, after all--I welcome the opportunity to set some goals, and the new year is a good excuse. This year I've got a few things in mind. I recently saw an article about how people fail at their resolutions because they make excuses, turning "wants" into "needs" (as in, "I need this candy bar because I've had a crappy day"). People also set goals that are too lofty or ambiguous ("I'm going to get healthy"). So here is my attempt to set attainable goals:

1. Eat sweets only after dinner. Anyone who knows me knows that I have a serious sweet tooth. In the interest of preserving my teeth and my insulin, I should probably cut back on the candy and cookies. That'll mean a serious overhaul of my breakfast habits, which involve many a donut and danish.

2. Take a class in something I've never done before. Scuba diving and African drumming are at the top of the list.

3. Keep a cleaner house. This one was Jay's idea for both of us. It's true that I am the world's worst housekeeper. I just can't bring myself to care about cleanliness and organization. However, I do care about Jay, and if this makes him happier, it makes me happier too. I wouldn't mind having clean clothes once in a while, either. So my attainable goal is this: clean something every day, whether it's doing a load of laundry or dishes or picking up the clutter in a room. (I can hear my mother now: "Good luck!" with accompanying eye roll.)

Some hopes for the new year, too:

1. Take a trip. Anywhere. Overseas preferred but not required. If we have to stay in the continental US, I pick New Orleans or Mount Rainier.

2. Play more music.

3. Have my family and friends keep their health and happiness.

ETA: I wrote this post on New Years' Day, and unfortunately, one of my hopes has already been dashed. Jay's grandfather had a heart attack on January 3rd--2009, you suck. My Memere also went into the emergency room the same day for something that turned out to be non-life-threatening, thank goodness. So I'd like to amend my #3 hope to say "Renewed health and happiness for my family and friends."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

GOOD LUCK! (eyeroll)

Nate said...

Let's get working on Hope #2! Some eve next week.