Friday, August 15, 2008

The Elegant Universe

Sometimes the internet leads you to weird places. Last weekend I was taking a short break from dissertation writing when I found a video that explained the tenth dimension. Intrigued, I googled for more information, and my searching led me to Nova, one of my favorite programs. Now, I usually willfully ignore science and math. I like Nova for the adventure programs. They've done several programs each on Everest and Denali. But this Nova program was different. First of all, it was long--three hours. Secondly, it was on physics. Physics?? I dumped science in high school before I got to physics, and I never felt even the smallest pang of regret. And now, ten years later, I'm watching a program on physics.

Anyway, the program was called The Elegant Universe. Starting way back with Isaac Newton, it detailed the search for a "theory of everything," which naturally led to eleven dimensions, complete with parallel universes and time travel. This theory of everything is called "string theory," or "M-theory," the M standing for many things, one of which being "meaningless."

It was confusing, since, as I've noted, I ran screaming from science and math when I was 17. It boggles my mind a little bit that someone can do a bunch of math and come to the conclusion that "Ah! This means there are jillions of parallel universes, all just a hop, skip, and a dimension away!" But it was strangely fascinating. The program originated from a book with the same title, which I've checked out from the library. Either I'll read it, become obsessed, and decide that I need to become a string theorist, or forget about it after one chapter and never read another page about string theory again. Jay is probably banking on the latter, as I don't think he's prepared to support me through another 11 years of college.

Here is the program, all of it viewable in 6-8 minute chunks, perfect for a little break after writing a page of a dissertation. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/

And here is someone else who also enjoys string:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I started reading Warped Passages awhile ago and it kind of blew my mind. Never did finish it. I'll definitely have to check out the videos instead.

fuzzy old guy said...

I saw this program when it originally aired several years ago. Being an engineer (and junior space cadet) I found it very fascinating. One of the first books I read as a kid was the biography of Albert Einstein (boy, what a geek I am). The theory of relativity has been bounced around for almost 75 years. It has taken this long to get to the point where string theory presents a common approach to the unexplainable forces of the universe. Strong forces, weak forces, dimensions, vibrating strings...the music of the universe.

Wilhelmina said...

I've never heard of Warped Passages. Maybe if my interest doesn't fizzle out by the end of the Elegant Universe book, I'll check it out.